On this page you will find a brief overview of some of the changes to benefits during the Covid-19 outbreak, with relevant links to where you can find out more.

As the government’s guidance around benefits and the situation with the virus changes, we will amend this guidance.

Increases in Universal Credit and Working Tax Credits

The standard allowance in Universal Credit and the basic element in Working Tax Credit have both been increased by £20 per week for one year, from 6 April 2020.

Find out more

Tax credits

If you’re claiming tax credits, then you’ll be sent a pack that tells you how to renew them.

You’ll receive one of the following:

  • A letter with a red line across the first page. If you receive this, you’ll need to renew your tax credits by the deadline date printed on the letter. If you don’t, you will stop receiving credits.
  • A letter with a black line across the first page. If you receive this, you just need to check all details are correct. If they’re incorrect, you need to inform HMRC.

Find out more

Universal credit

You will need to update your Universal Credit (UC) journal if your circumstances change. If you are not earning as much money as you were previously, your entitlements will be automatically updated.

There are no face-to-face interviews at Job Centres for the time being, which means you’ll need to check your UC journal regularly.

If you’re finding it hard to verify your ID for Universal Credit, you can call the Universal Credit helpline on 0800 328 5644.

If you have trouble calling the helpline, you can still update your Universal Credit journal online and note you’re having difficulty getting through to book your ID appointment - a member of the Universal Credit team should contact you by phone to verify your ID.

Find out more

If you are not already on UC, but your circumstances have changed due to coronavirus, you can apply for UC online. Our Tenancy Sustainment team are on hand to help you with the process if you need it.

Find out more


If you are currently in employment and you and your employer both agree, your employer may be able to keep you on the payroll when they’re unable to operate or have no work for you because of coronavirus.

Your employer could pay up to 80% of your wages through the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme, up to a monthly cap of £2,500.

The scheme has now been extended through to 31st March 2021.

Find out more

Legacy benefits including housing benefit, child tax credits, council tax support

You’ll need to keep your local authority and HMRC informed of any changes to your income. All assessment for Jobseeker’s Allowance, Income Support and Employment Support Allowance (ESA) is currently suspended.

Find out more


If you’re self-employed or a member of a partnership and have lost income due to coronavirus, you may be eligible to claim a grant through the Self-employment Income Support Scheme.

The government’s Business Support Helpline on 0300 456 3565 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 6pm) can give advice if you are self-employed.

If you apply, you may be eligible for a taxable grant of 80% of your average monthly trading profits.

Find out more

Job centres

Job centres will remain open to help people access services over the phone or online. All face-to-face assessments for Personal Independence Payment (PIP) or Disability Living Allowance (DLA) are suspended. If you are due to renew your PIP/DLA award, you must still send in your review application with supporting documents.

Find out more

Council tax reductions

If you’re on a low income or claiming benefits, you may not need to pay council tax.

Find out more

Statutory sick pay

If you have coronavirus, you are entitled to statutory sick pay from your first day of absence instead of your fourth day.

You can self-certify your sickness for the first 7 days, but you will need a medical certification for any other days. To avoid visiting the GP, you can do this through your local surgery’s website.

Child benefit

You can now claim child benefit without registering your new-born’s birth at a general register office.

If you’re a first-time parent, you’ll need to fill in a claim form and post it to the child benefit office. Make sure you add a note explaining that you’re unable to register your child’s birth.

If you already claim child benefit, you can complete the form or add your newborn’s details over the phone on 0300 200 3100.

Find out more

Prepaid gas or electricity meter debt

The government has put in place ways to help you if you’re struggling to top-up your prepaid energy account, whether due to financial issues or sickness.

Find out more

Funeral expenses

The maximum amount of money you can be paid as a Funeral Expenses Payment has increased from £700 to £1000.

You are eligible for a Funeral Expenses Payment if you receive certain benefits and need help paying for a funeral.

Find out more

Insurance payments

If you’re struggling to afford insurance payments, you should contact your insurer to discuss your available options.

You should maintain essential insurance cover and not leave yourself uninsured. Insurers will have a range of options to help you, including reviewing cover, payment holidays, or the waiving of additional fees.

Find out more

Community hubs

Community hubs have been rolled out across the country to help people access essential services such as medicine and food.

If you are a vulnerable person and need our help during this period, contact us to talk about your needs on 0800 432 0077.

Tenancy Sustainment team

Our team is on hand to help you with any financial queries you might have including changes to benefits, access to funds and budgeting. Call our Customer Contact Centre on 0800 432 0077 and ask to speak to a tenancy sustainment officer (TSO).