Universal Credit is a payment from the government to help you with living costs. You could be eligible for it if you're out of work or have a low income.

If you're going to receive Universal Credit, please contact us urgently. Call 0800 432 0077 and ask to speak to your tenancy sustainment officer.

Universal Credit is a single payment that replaces:

  • Income Support
  • Income Related Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income Related Employment Support Allowance
  • Housing Benefit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit

If you claim any of these benefits already, the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) will tell you when you'll be switching to Universal Credit and if you need to take any action.

How to apply

To apply for Universal Credit:

If you're going to receive Universal Credit, please let us know as soon as possible. We can advise you and help you set up a Direct Debit to pay your rent.

When you start to claim Universal Credit, you'll have to wait 5 weeks for your first payment. If you’re worried about being able to pay your rent during this time, please get in touch. We can help.

If you’re on Universal Credit or think you might use it in the future, this Money Manager tool from ‘Money Helper’ can help to guide you.