If you're struggling to pay your rent or service charge get in touch as soon as possible. The sooner you tell us about your situation, the more we can do to try and help you.

What should I do if I’m struggling to pay?

If you’re struggling financially, please get in touch with us as soon as possible. One of our Tenancy Sustainment officers will work with you to find a flexible and personalised solution to your financial difficulties. Some of the ways we can help you include:

  • Assistance with benefit information and claims such as Universal Credit applications
  • Advice about local government financial assistance
  • Employment support including advice on job hunting and training
  • Payment plans that allow you to keep living in your home while you pay off your debt at a rate you can afford
  • Advise you on what benefits you may be entitled to

You can arrange to meet with our Tenancy sustainment team by calling us and ask to speak to your tenancy sustainment officer.

Money Advice Service

You can also contact the Money Advice Service. Its website has lots of helpful information about money-related topics. You can also call them for free on 0300 500 5000.

Cost of living help

Cost of living increases are affecting everyone in different ways. If you’re experiencing difficulties, there is help and support available. The cost of living helper has lots of information on money matters, providing helpful advice and tips on where you can get the support you need.

Visit our dedicated Money Matters page for more information on how we can support you with increases to the cost of living.

Get in touch

It’s easy to speak to us about your situation: