If your neighbour is doing something that is making it difficult for you to enjoy your home, in most cases it is best to talk to them about it. They may not know how their actions are affecting you.

If they're committing a crime, using hate speech or have been violent, report it to the police.

Although it may not be easy, the best thing to do when you have an issue with a neighbour is to talk to them yourself.

Issues like the TV being very loud, things left in communal areas, inconsiderate visitors, excess vehicle noise late at night, or slamming doors can often be sorted out with a conversation. It is likely your neighbour would prefer that you speak to them first before contacting us, and they may not be aware they are causing a problem.

When you speak to your neighbour:

  • Plan what you want to say and try to be calm and friendly.
  • Describe the issue clearly and explain how it affects you and your family.
  • Be specific about when it happened or happens.
  • Try not to get angry or aggressive. If the conversation doesn’t go well, it is better to just walk away.

If you find speaking to people difficult, you can instead leave them a note, or ask your Neighbourhood Officer for advice. You can also visit the ASB Help website for more tips and advice.

If you feel threatened by your neighbour, don't speak to them. Tell us and we can talk to them.

How to report anti-social behaviour

How to report a crime